Monday, April 20, 2009

Welcome to a New World

I feel like I should have been handed a pamphlet of information sometime over the past week. "How to Cope with a Child Who Has Learned to Move—Everywhere." Or, "How to Get Anything Done while Chasing Your Child Around,"or, even better, "How to Teach Your Child to Walk without Killing Yourself."

For those of you who I don't speak to on a regular basis, you might have missed the bulletin: Sena didn't crawl. She went straight from lying down to wanting to walk, never really "getting" how you get from lying down to standing (without mama or papa's help). Well, over the last month she's been mastering her moves, and now army crawls throughout the house (yes, still not "crawling") and pulls up on EVERYTHING. Today she tried to pull up on the front door by grabbing the door stopper. She didn't get very far.

It isn't that I don't want her to move, walk, or crawl. It's that I don't want her to fall. I find myself holding my breath every time she takes an adventurous step. Here's a mental picture for you: She has a twinkle in her eye, is full of smiles, and looks oh-so proud; I look like I'm about to lose my lunch, crouched over in a totally unnatural position so that I'm able to swoop in and save her if she's about to tumble. I know, I know. Everyone says I need to "let her fall." But, I can't. We have wood floors. She's my baby. What can I say. So, in the meantime, I'll spend my days following her around the house ready to break her fall. I have a feeling I'll probably be doing this the rest of my life—and eventually she'll tell me to stop. (When she's on her first date, perhaps?!)

On another, more amusing, note.... Sena pooped in the toilet last night. Okay, for all of you that do not have children, feel free to stop reading now. For those of you that do... She's only 13 months old! Last night I was giving her a bath and some, er bubbles began to form in the tub- just behind her cute little tush. After our little "incident" in the bathtub a few weeks back, I was quick to get her out of the tub, but wasn't really sure what to do with her after I got her out. Poor thing was naked, wet, and wanting to poop and I was just dangling her above the water. Anyway, I set her on the toilet thinking, "what the heck." She looked at me, sat there for a few seconds, and then did it!!!!!!

1 comment:

the purcells said...

she's gonna love this picture some day!!