Tuesday, February 26, 2008

What Not to Say

For some reason, being pregnant seems to signal to the world that it is okay to say ANYTHING. It's as if the world's appropriateness-monitor turns off when in company of said preggo. For example:

Is it really okay to tell me that I'm huge? Or that I look like I'm about to pop? I still have 4 weeks! I guess by then I'll look like I'm about to burst! I had a friend yesterday say, "I didn't expect you to get so big!" Well, geez. Thanks.

The other day I was walking through the mall, which has a variety of relatively obnoxious kiosks sprinkled throughout. As I walked by this pretty funny kiosk of wigs, one of the gals proclaimed, "Look at the pregnant woman! Isn't she SO cute?!" Her colleague then turned to look. Should I have waved? Curtsied? What was my appropriate response? I know I should be flattered, but I just felt awkward.

Finally, I DON'T want to hear about your awful labor or delivery. (Mom, if you were to know how to get online, this would particularly pertain to you.) I'd like to remain naive (or optimistic) until after I've experienced it myself!

1 comment:

Ross G said...

Man, I wish I would have taken your comments into consideration the last time I saw you. May I apologize for saying, "WOW you are huge," and calling you "as big as a house."
However, if I were pregnant, I would take great pride in people calling me a huge prego and pointing out my obvious large extruding abdomen.
On second thought, that might get a little old.